I am turning 30 in 6 months and because this is such an eagerly awaited milestone (no matter how unfathomable, I mean why is 30 so different from 20? Poor 20 year olds with their totally insignificant age.) I decided I’d start counting down to my BIG DAY.
And what better way to do that (no matter how seemingly irrelevant) than to create a list of things I want to accomplish on, before or after my 3oth birthday. I shall call my list “Giddy to be 30” because I am indeed giddy to be 30 but mostly because it rhymes.
So here we go:
The “Giddy to be 30” List:
- Start a travel fund.–My husband and I are not big travelers. The mere thought of packing and unpacking completely puts us off traveling but there’s a big beautiful world out there and I’d love to see some of it in this lifetime. Since traveling can be financially draining, I’m going to stash a certain amount (depending on what is feasible from month to month) every payday on a travel fund and choose one place (domestic or local) to visit for vacation every year.
- Start and sustain a blog- My mind constantly runs with a myriad thoughts and I’d like to channel them into a forum where I don’t have to worry about censoring myself. Let the cursing commence! hehe…
- Donate to an orphanage- I’ve always loved children. And ever since I became a mom,my soft spot for them just got….softer (?). Anyway, we made a donation to C.R.I.B.S. for my son’s 1st birthday and my husband and I decided it ought to be a regular thing for us to visit or make charitable donations to orphanages or any children in need. Children deserve a life of comfort and opportunity, not abandonment and destitution. And because I don’t have Oprah money (yet) I have to trust that the little that I can give will go a long way.
- Start a mommy support group- Okay, now, this is a huge MAYBE. Motherhood has been crazy amazing, so far. But mostly, it has been crazy. And any mother (new or seasoned) should have a strong network of support form other women in order to stay emotionally stable enough not to raise a future serial killer..or politician. I’ve been toying with the idea of forming a support group, the logistics of which I have yet to decipher. Hopefully, It comes to fruition because I am in love with the prospect of mothers gathered in a room talking up a storm over coffee and pastries and leaving feeling a world of relief knowing they’re not alone.
- Write a book- I’m not sure what kind of book. Right now, all I can think of is a compilation of prayers for different situations. I’m not gunning for a Palanca award or anything (hey, I know when and when not to toot my own horn) but to be published would be freakin’ awesome.
- Make my house Pinterest-y- Construction on our very own home (thanks mom and dad) is underway and because I cannot make it look like the house of the 3 bears from Bananas in Pyjamas (bummer), I will settle for making it look like a Pinterest pin. This means, wooden dining table, kitchen island, walk in closet, christmas lights artfully strewn along the wall, a wooden trunk as my coffee table, vintage decor…..aaaand money I hope I have to buy all that stuff.
So my “Giddy to be 30” list ends here, for now. If ever I am taking a dump or walking to buy my lunch and I think of something good to add to it, I will update the list.